switching back to previously used meds

hello, I live in Africa and in Europe. i started taking Kaletra/Combivir in 2007 and all was well apart from the weight gain. i stopped taking the medication in august 2011 and my condition started getting bad. When i went back to Europe, i had a resistance test done and it came out negative, i had a choice of getting back to my old meds but i instead opted for Truvada/Sustiva. I now regret that decision since i want to settle back home in Africa as i dont get along with my HIV- husband and we are headed for a separation. Unfortunately the regime am now taking isn't available in Africa and i am devastated! I dont want to be stuck in a place/country that i dont belong to and alone just because of this. What should i do? I so desperately need to stay in Africa and get on with my life.... Pls advise me..thanks in advance

Hi and thanks for posting.

Since you don't have any history of drug resistant HIV, you can switch to your previous HIV regimens without concern. Indeed, without resistance, you can look at your treatment options as first-line medications (rather than second- or third-line meds, as is sometimes confused).

So, not to worry, if Truvada + Sustiva isn't available where you live in Africa, simply ask about what the current preferred first line regimens are. I'm sure that the efavirenz (Sustiva) is-- it's widely available world wide.

I hope that helps. BY

Atripla & Modafinil
Stopping Truvada and Taking only Kaletra