Vital load is now above 100,000

Hi, I just knew my CD4 and Vital Load. It is my first check. CD4 was 329. Vital load is 142,000. I knew that it should start a medication treatment. But it was first time to know the result. My doctor said that I can also wait to see the next check up result after 2 month. Should I start a medication as soon as possible or wait until a few more month? Kindly give some advice.

Hi and thanks for posting.

I think that your lab results indicate the time to start treatment. Indeed, more and more, US treatment guidelines no longer require some magical lab test number to start, and are suggesting starting (if your willing and able to be adherent) at any value. Your CD4 count is below even the conservative level of 350 and your viral load is high enough to prompt a start recommendation (even if your CD4 was much higher). Know too that starting on medications and having an undetectable viral load is also a great way to preserve or improve your health and prevent transmission of HIV to others.

It's not necessary to start immediately, nor is it a terrible thing to wait a few weeks, but I'd hardly think that any different lab result would yield a different recommendation.

Hope that helps, BY

Joint problems switching from Truvada-Issentress to Complera
CHANGING MY MEDS