switching from prezista/truvada/norvir to complera

Hello doctor!

I have been diagnosed with hiv over a year ago and have been taking Prezista/Truvada/Norvir for a year now, with encouraging results (my viral load is below 50 and my immunity is around 725)

However, after researching the internet I asked my doctor to switch to Eviplera (Complera), because I'm guessing taking one pill instead of four would be better for me.

Do you think that on the long term, Eviplera might be a better choice than Prezista/Truvada/Norvir? Or should I stay on what's worked so far?

Hi and thanks for posting.

If you've been doing well on your current DHHS-"Preferred" regimen for over a year, you'd have to give me a really good reason to switch to a different regimen.

This could be for reasons of improved side effects, toxicity management or even to reduce pill count (especially if this improves adherence to treatment). There's no reason to think that (without other information) that Complera will necessarily have a better long-term toxicity for you than your current regimen, but switching off of Norvir/Prezista might improve cholesterol and triglyceride levels (but primarily assuming that they're abnormal now).

Be mindful, FWIW, that Complera/Eviplera is listed as a DHHS-"Alternative" regimen. This means that the clinical study evidence for this isn't as strong as those for your current regimen, but as the DHHS points out, for some individuals, an "Alternative" regimen might be the "Preferred" one.

So, overall, if a one pill a day really offers an improvement for you, then the switch is certainly not a bad one.

I hope that helps, BY

cure is near?
How is taken darunavir and etravirine?