13 yrs HIV+, starting meds for the first time.

hello Dr young & Dr McGowan..I am a male hiv+ since 2000. Up until 2 years ago i always had CD4's >800 and a V.L < 10, 000. Presently CD4'S >600 & V.L 40, 000. The main reason for my specialist suggesting treatment is due to neutrophil levels staying low < 1.5 for a period of over a year and now at 0.9 for 2 months without improvement. Lymphoma has been ruled out. I will be taking Complera due to a history of depression (hence avoiding Atripla). Comlplera is new in Australia and it is difficult to aquire feedback due to the low number of people taking it. Most of my answers have been answered just by navigating through this wonderful website. However, Can I please ask you if there is a chance of my neutrophils improving when I reach undetectable levels? It has been 10 years since my last question..how time go by so quickly! Thank you

Hello and thanks for posting after so many years.

I'd agree that despite your relatively high CD4 cell count, that it very well is time to start medications for HIV.

Neutropenia (low neutrophil count) is not rare among people with untreated HIV infection. With your levels below 1.0, you could be at increased risk for certain types of infections-- hence our recommendations for treatment. Usually, this situation corrects when HIV treatment is started.

Hope all goes well for you, and let us know how things turn out for you. BY

Anti Virals for Hep B
cure is near?