switching medication

i ws diagnosed 2 years ago,been on aluvia and combivir,twice a day,currently my CD 4 is 1200 and viral load is undetected,now i want to switch to atripla at night...is that a good idea?..how will my body respond?..

Hello and thanks for posting.

First, it seems like you've had an excellent response to your current Combivir + Aluvia (Kaletra) regimen. Given that, there should be reason to switch to a new regimen.

US treatment guidelines suggest changing a suppressive (successful) regimen for the following reasons: Reduce pill burden Reduce dosing frequency Enhance tolerability Decrease food and fluid requirements

The goals of a change should be to improve patient's quality of life, improve adherence, avoid long-term toxicities or reduce risk of virologic failure.

In a possible switch to Atripla, you'll decrease your pill count and dosing frequency, and possibly decrease side effects (fatigue, headache, diarrhea) the risk of certain long-term toxicities (anemia, increased cholesterol, diabetes risks) of your current regimen.

Most people tolerate Atripla well, and the usual efavirenz psychological side effects wane in the first week or so of treatment. I'm careful in prescribing tenofovir to people with risks of kidney or bone disease (characteristic side effects of tenofovir), problems with sleep or mood (characteristic side effect areas for efavirenz). One should also be mindful of possible risks of efavirenz during the first trimester of pregnancy too.

I hope that's helpful. Be well, BY

drug resistance
Please answer me... Thank you