Switch out epivir for emtriva

Dear experts, Approximately one month ago, I d/c'd truvada due to ongoing renal issues, and started epzicom with reyataz and norvir. After 2 1/2 wks, I began to feel some signs of neuropathy (toe pain, tingling, etc), so my doc recommended that I switch out the epivir and replace with emtriva. I've had issues with isentress, sustiva and prezista so my options are somewhat limited. I cannot find any information about combining ziagen with emtriva. Your thoughts?

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'd agree with your switch from Truvada to Epzicom if you were having kidney injury that was otherwise unexplained.

It's odd to hear about new neuropathy symptoms after your treatment switch, especially since the medications in Epzicom are very rarely associated with this. I suppose that since 3TC and FTC are very similar in activity, that a switch from Epzicom to abacavir + FTC could be done to see if the 3TC part of Epzicom was the culprit.

Your right that there are few data on this pairing, but there's no reason to think that it wont have similar activity to the very well studied abacavir+3TC combo.

I hope that helps. BY

Stocrin and Truvada as PEP
drug resistance