father had aids before i was born

Hi my name is Mercury and im just curious. But my father had aids before i was born and neither me my mom or sister seem to have contracted the virus.. Is it possible that it could be laying dormant for roughly 20 years or more?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Although it is possible to transmit HIV anytime someone has unprotected sex, the risk is not absolute. So it is entirely possible that your father did not transmit HIV to your mother. Your mother's HIV test confirms this since she is HIV negative. If your mother is HIV negative, then neither you nor your sister could have contracted HIV from her. Thanks

What tests should I undertake
Sustiva... Johns Hopkins says it attacks our brain cells