Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doctor please answer. This is going on too long
Sep 30, 2012

In 1992 I became ill with deep thigh pain (both), diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes, weight loss narrowing of my ileum and fatigue. I was bedridden for over a year. I tested for hiv 6 and 8 months after any possible exposure no other possible exposure since. I saw twenty doctors who could not help me. I slowly went up and down with some recovery to feeling sick over the course of 14 years. I decided I would try and have a baby with my wife who tested hiv negative in 2005 before having our baby in 2006. Recently my child became ill with some calf pain and elevated Liver enzymes decreased wbc (1.7) and fever for 7 days over 101. degrees was hospitalized and tested for EBV , Hepatitis, and bone marrow all came out fine except the EBV showed previous. I have been very ill since May with diarreah and weight loss pretty much the same as my previous illness. Thigh pain , dark circles under my eyes etc. Thank God my son's WBC improved in 2 days to 3.2 and Liver enzymes went down to 300 from 2000. I have taken another ELISA, my 4th, in June 2012 (my previous were May 1992, June 1992, Apr 2003) which came back "non reactive" but my recent EBV VCA IGG and Nuclear Antigen came back with a reading of 8.0 positive. I am still losing weight again (20 lbs) no matter how much I eat. Foul stools and gas as well. Pain in the thighs again, low normal testosterone. Am I worrying myself thinking my son and my illness has something to do with HIV? Please help me doctor. Am I being irrational? I have tried to move on with my life by even considering having a child 14 years after I first began feeling sick with these symptoms. This has been Torture! Please, i am awaiting your advice.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry that you have been experiencing such concern about your and your family's health. The good news is that you do not have HIV and your son has recovered from his illness. Both your son and you have been exposed to the virus EBV...this is a very common finding and does not mean that you are suffering from EBV at this time. I am hoping this answer provides you with the reassurance you were looking for. Thanks Joe

Previous
love life is not well
Next
Can u brush the white coat away easily

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.