Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Effectivness
Sep 30, 2012

I have seen other treads but still not found the answers I am looking for. I had an potential exposure around am and started treatment between 830-am the same day of Combivir BID I am now on day 3 with only being late 2.5-3 hours. I was lucky enough to have someone who was willing to go get tested on Monday morning but the Ora Quick test came back inconclusive and blood was taken. If indeed the partner is infected; me as a inserted top with a healthy immune system, and no open wounds or blood to be seen after the short (no more then a min) of penetration poses what risk? I see numbers being 6.5 of 10,000 and less then 0.10 % per exposure but I am not sure what that means. As a health care practitioner I am worried. Since I started PEP within 8 hours of exposure and plan to adhere to the medication regimen fully because as of now no side effects are present and regardless I will adhere: what success rate do I have of non sero conversion? Are the odds in my favor? Studies to show?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Your risk of acquiring HIV is very low for various reasons. You were the insertive partner. You started post exposure prophylaxis fairly promptly. You are taking your PEP regimen (and should complete the course). Your partner's HIV status is uncertain but it would be important to follow up on the blood test result. Thanks Joe

Previous
Right timing any mistake so far?
Next
Changing Medication from Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.