Gonzalo scared!

Dear Dr, It has been 23 days since started medication with lamivudine+zidovudine twice daily and Efavirenz one take per night. Three days ago I got my blood tests after this period of time and I really got scared: My red blood cell count dropped from 14.8% to 12.4% and total white cell count dropped from 5150 to 3100, but linfocythes % increased from 36% to 55% (over maximum limit)?. Another disturbing result was the increase of my liver transaminase SGPT: it increased from 30 U/L (within range) to 48 U/L (over the top limit). My Dr told me to move ahead with the treatment, that I should not stop it !, he suggested to check again the blood test in one more week, if the red blodd cell count continues to fall, we should think about changing the tratment, what do you think?? I have not had any single side effect of the tratment so far. I will deeply appreciate your thoughts about this scary situation.

Hi and thanks for posting.

It's really great to hear that you've started on medications- and have not had any side effects at all.

Your labs show modest changes, but not ones that I would be very alarmed about at this time, or ones that I would remotely call scary. Small decreases in red blood cell counts are quite common among people who are taking AZT (zidovudine). Similarly, modest increases in liver function tests (like SGPT) are not unusual, and while monitoring of both are important, a SGPT value of 48 would not be of great concern.

I'm in agreement with your doctor to continue your current treatment and repeating the monitoring tests to check on any further changes.

I hope that helps. Write us back after the follow up tests.

Be well, BY

truvada for prevention - hes positive and i'm not
Prezista, Truvada, and Noivir for Prep?