PEP dosage and length

I am concerned about broken condom where I was at the receiving end of anal sex. As I have Truvada and Combivir I started immediately after the with one tablet both. What is the normal dosage - is it 1 tablet daily for Truvada and 1 tablet Combivir twice daily for four weeks?

Hi and thanks for posting.

First, all PEP regimens are 4 weeks (or 1 month). PEP must be started within 72 hours of the exposure to be effective.

I would not recommend taking both Truvada (tenofovir+FTC) and Combivir (AZT+3TC) for PEP, but either alone would be adequate for most exposures. The reason for this is that FTC and 3TC are essentially the same medication. For high risk sexual exposures, a third medication (of a different medication class) is recommended- we typically use either a protease inhibitor or integrase inhibitor in these circumstances.

Be well, BY

Sharing home with an HIV infected person
Resistance and what next?