Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Safe Sexual Activities for Mixed Status
Sep 17, 2012

My partner has just diagnosed with HIV. We have been together for a couple of months and have done sex for how many times prior to his HIV test. I am an HIV- that's why mostly we only did mutual masturbation, kissing but not that deep kissing, licking nipples, I've also done receptive and insertive oral sex (i only did insertive oral for once but receptive for many times). I've also avoided his semen to enter my mouth except for once that he cums on my chest and on my penis. I can't go for test yet because the last time we have sex was 5 days ago so i have to wait for 3 months window period. My questions are: 1. Am i possibly infected too? 2. What are the safe sex activities for mixed status relationship? 3. Any recommended ebook or links that contain guide for mixed status relationship?

I hope to hear answers from you asap. Thank you!

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi, We know that oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. This being your only risk, the likelihood of transmission is very small. Depending on when your partner became infected and if they are in care and on treatment also plays a role in transmission. Being on medication and having an undetectable viral is important. We know that if someone has an undetectable viral load, The risk of transmission is very small it decreases by up to 96%. Wearing condoms for receptive and insertive intercourse, deep kissing is fine, just be cautious around direct body fluid exchange, blood, semen, vaginal fluids, then you are decreasing your risk. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again. So you can get tested at the 3 week mark and then again at 3 months.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
When start treatment??
Next
treatment-naive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.