Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Functional cure on the horizon?
Sep 14, 2012

HI Dr.Young;

Your work here is much appreciated. I'm sure it benefits countless people all over the globe. Thank you.

I'm HIV negative myself (on account of exclusive safe sex practice); Have a general question regarding a functional cure.

Realistically speaking, how far do you think, in terms of numbers of months or years are we from, say a weekly/monthy or even once in 3/6 months shot/pill, which could perhaps be seen as a viable "funcutional" cure?

We have already seen lightyears advancements reaching upto Atripla & the upcoming QUAD pill...so i believe it is reasonable to assume such a cure is expected?

Regards; Chen.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Chen and thank you for posting your forward looking question.

Things in the HIV treatment world continue to evolve and improve- witness this month's approval of STRIBILD (previously known as Quad).

We've gone from HIV regimens that were three times and many pills a day to our now third single tablet regimen.

This last week at the ICAAC meeting we heard further about new medications that, if approved, could probably be dosed much less frequently than once daily. Once a month or even every three months looks like possibilities. Indeed, the newest investigational integrase inhibitor, Viiv's "744" looks like every 3, and maybe even 6 months could be a long-range possibility.

Of course, a functional treatment regimen would require more than one drug, so we'll need to wait for improvements in the drugs and their delivery systems for this to be achieved.

As for functional cure, there remains many active, but very early stage investigations- that we've seen 3 cases of probable HIV cures should give everyone hope in this area.

Of course, all of this requires ongoing investment and commitment in scientific discovery; it's important to realize that as treatments get better, that the benchmark for demonstration of safety and effectiveness also gets higher (and better)- so this process will take time. Fingers crossed for the long run.

BY

Previous
Do Patients feel better after taking Complera?
Next
Frequent aphthous ulcers and styes signs of my hiv progression?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.