The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do Patients feel better after taking Complera?

Sep 14, 2012

Besides lower viral loads and high t cell count... are there other indicators that tells patients that this is the medication is right for them?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank for posting.

Your question applies to all first-line treatment decisions. When I discuss this with patients, there are three general category of considerations: (1) the virus (ie., drug resistance and viral load), (2) your body (ie., health issues, like kidney or liver problems, or health risks) and (3) you lifestyle (work, play, eating habits).

Using this thought: 1) Complera is active in people with drug sensitive virus, but should be avoided for initial therapy in people high viral loads.

2) Since the tenofovir component of Complera (and Atripla and Stribild) is associated with kidney injury and bone loss, I avoid using this medication in people with kidney or bone issues (or significant risk of these problems).

Complera should also be used carefully in people who take antacids (or stomach acid-lowering medications) on a regular basis.

3) The medication should be taken once-daily with a 400 calorie meal for optimal drug absorption. If you don't eat on a regular basis (or your meals vary in calories) you should factor this into the decision as to whether or not Complera is right for you.

Hope that helps, BY

Positive Then Negative Results
Functional cure on the horizon?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint