HIV Positive Doctors

Hi I was recently diagnosed with HIV and at the time I was a pre-med student. I have been told it is highly frowned upon in the medical field to have HIV and be an doctor. Is that true and if so what are the challenges that come with being a doctor and being HIV positive.

Response from Mr. Chambers

The answer to this can vary substantially depending on where you plan to practice.as rules change by state and especially by country.

Generally in the US, you are discouraged (or actually prohibited) from practicing any kind of invasive medicine, such as surgery. Beyond that, in most states, you can practice, but are obviously advised to take extra precautions not to transmit the virus, such as double-gloving, etc.

Check for laws in your location. Most medical associations also have guidelines for practicing when HIV+.

Good luck with your education and career. Jacques

ciprofloxacin chlamydia
Thanks