toxoplasmosis

Hi Dr. Young,could you tell me if the test for toxoplasmosis is done as a routine included in the labwork done with the I.D. doctor every 3 or 4 months,yesterday it was a program in the TV talking about this partasite and the dangers for people with HIV,I feed an outside cat that is not mine inside my house, and my son comes to my house and stays with me once a week,so that is why I am asking about if the test is done as a routine,my son last t cell count was 587 with a 36% he is on ATRIPLA.as I have told you in other posts, I always worry, of course I don't let my son know of how I feel.Well I hope that you can answer me and thanks for everything that you do for us.

Hello and thanks for posting; it's good to know that our writings are helpful to you.

Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic that can cause severe brain infections in people with advanced AIDS and CD4 counts less than 100. A simple antibody test (Toxoplasma IgG) is recommended at baseline for people living with HIV.

As you son's CD4 count of 587 is normal (and well above the danger zone for Toxo), he's at no risk.

Be well, BY

cd4 drops
Atripla and Weight loss