Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 drops
Sep 9, 2012

Dr dr hope to hear from u soon. i was seen three days ago by my primary dr. on august 22 i had my lab work done n my cd4 was 383 n undetectable with 22 %. Two weeks after i had blood drawn for a study n whem i saw my dr she told me that my cd4 drop to 264 undetectable and 19% im dealing with the flu n cough n she vaccinated me with ppv.am i in a dangerous situation. why my cd4 drop quickly if im taking my meds as prescribed everyday. cake i take anything to prevent pneumonia or to get rid of the flu.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

If your most recent tests were done while you had a flu and cough, there's little concern in the minor drop in your CD4 counts. Indeed, I generally don't recommend getting your routine CD4 or HIV viral load tests done while one is sick with such things- it doesn't reflect your usual values and can (as this post raises) cause undue concerns.

As for prevention of pneumonia, for those persons who have CD4s less than 200, an antibiotic (usually trimethoprim/sulfa) is recommended by all international health organizations. For those and all others, annual influenza (flu) vaccination is recommended.

I hope that helps, BY

Previous
Is buying medication online an option? (Readers experiences welcomed)X 2
Next
toxoplasmosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.