Sep 4, 2012
Dear doctor Young,
I would like to ask two questions but before I do that let me please thank you for all your help and dedication you have been showing on this site.
1) I started ART in April after being diagnozed in January this year. I was put on Atripla (split into the three basic components as individual pills). Except for an old HAV infection I am without further comorbidities, 26 y.o. smoker. My initial results in Jan were VL 149,000 CD4 474, In Apr bebofe treatment VL 117,000 CD4 486, in Jul VL 290 CD4 604. Liver and kidney function optimal. Would you say that I can reach undetectable levels before my next tests in November?
2) Based on this article: www.thebodypro.com/content/68450/hiv-transmission-risk-chart.html?ap=2009 I see that oral sex transmission is low. If I am on ART, free of any STDs and getting close to <40 VL, would you say that unprotected oral sex with my negative boyfriend is safe? I do not want to put him any risk but cannot imagine having oral sex with condom...
Thank you once again
Response from Dr. Young
Hello Martin and thanks for posting.
1) Yes, I'd expect your viral load test to reach undetectable levels in November, 5 months or so after starting Atripla treatment. I usually obtain a monitoring test about 1-3 months into treatment to make sure that the initial trajectory of the viral load is good.
2) Oral sex is generally low risk for HIV transmission; even lower if the positive partner is on ART and has an undetectable HIV viral load. Recall (I think as you allude to) that other STDs can easily be transmitted this way- syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and papilloma virus.
I hope that helps. Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore On Tongue After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Genital Warts From Being Fingered?
- Is Autoimmune Hepatitis Contagious With Sex?
- List Of All Known Std's
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.