Meds and Food, especially Milk Products

Good Day from South Africa I am on early Treatment, hve been infected about 5 Month agao , my Meds are : 3TC, Purbac double Strength, Aspen Tenovir and Stocrin 600. My Question: Can I eat any Food with or after taking the Meds , and how about Milk and Milk Products( cheese, ice cream etc...). Also: the Times of taking the Meds is not so clear to me , does it always have to be the same Time of the Day ? 3Tc is twice a Day, does it have to be every 12 Hours strictly ?? All this is totally new and scary to me , and I am looking forward to an Answer. Thank You & Kind Regards

Hello and thanks for posting from South Africa.

You can certainly eat dairy products while taking HIV medications, indeed, it's recommended that positives get adequate amounts of vitamin D and calcium in their diets-- dairy products are among the best ways to do this.

As for eating with your specific medications, there is a soft recommendation to take efavirenz (Stocrin) on an empty stomach. This is primary because the drug levels are increased with food, and therefore a slight increase in the risk of side effects. If you aren't experiencing significant side effects from the efavirenz, then the diet restriction doesn't apply.

Your specific medications can actually be taken all together, once daily (that would mean 300 mg of 3TC); though 3TC can also be taken as 150 mg twice daily. If you choose the later, the timing isn't so critical as to be exactly 12 hours apart, just morning and evening will suffice.

Hope that helps. Write back anytime. BY

Donating to The Body.com
Truvada and Kaletra