Truvada Substiture

Recently, I was diagnosed with stage 3 of kidney disease. My Nephrologist feels pretty certain it's been my use of Truvada. Is Epzicom a viable substitute? I had a friend indicate to me it causes liver damage, especially if I've been exposed to or have Hepatitis. Can you please confirm? Thank you so much in advance!

Hi and thanks for posting.

If you're taking a first line treatment, without prior evidence of HIV drug resistance, then Epzicom would be absolutely be a very good alternative to Truvada for someone like you who has evidence of kidney injury. A genetic test, called HLA B5701 is needed first, to make sure that you won't develop an allergic reaction to the abacavir part of Epzicom.

Liver injury from Epzicom is very rare; though after any treatment switch, you should have clinic and lab monitoring.

I hope that helps, BY

I am on Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir - 2 years
I need medical help