Tenofovir and Lamuvidine

Dear Dr. Benjamin,

My sister (who is in Africa) has been on second line regimen of Alluvia, Abavacir and Didanosine since February 2009. This month her doctor replaced the Abacavir and Didanosine by once a day Tenofovir and Lamivudine. She has now to take Alluvia and Tenofovir + Lamivudine. How efficacious is this combination? And what is the risk of resistance given she used to take the Lamivudine in her first-line regimen before 2009?

Best regards,

Hello and thanks for posting,

Tenofovir and lamivudine can be very effective NRTI components of treatment- as to the specifics of how well they might replace didanosine and abacavir would depend on the potential for your sister's virus to harbor drug resistance.

Fortunately, for virus that has only lamivudine resistance, the tenofovir/lamivudine combo should combine effectively with Alluvia (Kaletra).

Any time that there's a switch in treatment, one should be mindful to monitor viral load changes and the potential for new drug toxicity (in the case of tenofovir, this would certainly include kidney and bone injury).

I hope that helps, BY

Exposed seronegatives
I am on Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir - 2 years