Exposure while on PEP

9 days after commencing PEP for low risk behaviour, semen in mouth from HIV + partner, I foolishly did the same thing. Same partner. I am on Truvada and have been diligent with meds, obviously not so with my behaviour. Should I seek extension of treatment? Apologies for my stupidity but your advice would be appreciated.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

The short answer is yes.

In terms of taking PEP at all, that's an individual choice that a person makes after talking with health professionals and going over the level of risk. In your situation, the risk sounds very low. The mouth typically isn't a very good way for HIV to get into the body. If the mouth is compromised in anyway (e.g. flossing/brushing beforehand, oral disease) then that increases the risk. I feel compelled to repeat all this information so that you're informed as you move forward with medical treatment.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Become Helpless
Infected at childbirth?