The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Already changed 2 regimens, are there still hiv medication that could work on me?

Aug 30, 2012

I have been taking HIV medication for ten years.After some years I changed Combivir+Viracept with Combivir+Telzir+Norvir .In case of these meds stop working are there any other that could still help me?And also how do the regimens I took are different from one another considering that I had to change meds only because my cd4 dropped and not because my viral load increased(was undetectable)?The meds I'm taking right now lowered my red blood cell count and increased my triglycerides. I'm female, in my 20s, also chronic hep B. Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

So long as you've not had issues with virological failure (increased viral load while on treatment) or HIV drug resistance (either transmitted during initial infection or after VF), there's no reason why you couldn't use any of the many approved HIV medications.

Indeed, the available choices of medications for you are essentially those for someone who'ss not yet started on medications.

Your regimen is now a bit dated, and there are newer options that might be better tolerated, fewer pills and fewer doses per day. Our Resource Center on Starting HIV Treatment has a good review about current treatment options.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to write back anytime with your questions or concerns. BY

shortage of norvir capsules?
i stoped my hiv medications

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint