Stomach acid and drug absorption
Aug 21, 2012
I am beginning a Reyataz/Norvin/Truvada regimen and making sure that I avoid antacids and that I eat a light meal in increase absorption and plasma levels. I wonder if I can take my Vitamin C with the meal? Would 500mg or 1g of ascorbic acid be acceptable with the meal and the medications? I am timing my calcium and other supplements for 12 hours away from my ART drugs, for what it's worth, but the Vit C seems like it could help.
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
You're right in taking your Reyataz regimen with food to ensure adequate medication absorption. Vitamin C doesn't have any significant interactions, so it's ok to take the supplement with your other pills if you choose.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Painful Urination An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Probability Of Getting HIV From Sex With A Prostitute
- Ache In Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Rubbing Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Pain In Balls After Drinking After Someone Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.