Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tested positive and then negative
Aug 21, 2012

Hello Dr. young I tested positive for HIV seven years ago, since then my virual load has always been undetectable and my CD4 count has never been under 630, I recentally just moved to another state, so I had to switch doctors, my last doctor did not give me a comfirmatory document so I had to take another HIV test, I took a rapid test using my blood, the test came back negative how could this be, the doctor asked me if I was sure I was HIV positive, I told her that I have been taking meds for seven years, I am currently taking ATRIPLA, she then took blood from my arm and said that she is going to have a western blot test done to confirm the first test, how could I have tested negative after being positive for all these years, I had a doctors appoinmtnet in May I was undetectable and CD4 was 638.

Thank you A.J.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi AJ and thanks for posting.

Your situation certainly seems unusual, but bear in mind that there are occasional laboratory errors-- which is precisely the reason why we always prefer to get confirmatory HIV testing. Rapid screening tests, do occasionally have false negative results (as might be your case).

Did you ever have a detectable HIV RNA level (viral load)? If so, this would point to the clear fact that (sadly) you do have HIV infection.

Either way, we'll have to wait for the results of the WB test.

Be well, BY

Previous
garlic and hiv meds
Next
Stomach acid and drug absorption

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.