Tested positive and then negative

Hello Dr. young I tested positive for HIV seven years ago, since then my virual load has always been undetectable and my CD4 count has never been under 630, I recentally just moved to another state, so I had to switch doctors, my last doctor did not give me a comfirmatory document so I had to take another HIV test, I took a rapid test using my blood, the test came back negative how could this be, the doctor asked me if I was sure I was HIV positive, I told her that I have been taking meds for seven years, I am currently taking ATRIPLA, she then took blood from my arm and said that she is going to have a western blot test done to confirm the first test, how could I have tested negative after being positive for all these years, I had a doctors appoinmtnet in May I was undetectable and CD4 was 638.

Thank you A.J.

Hi AJ and thanks for posting.

Your situation certainly seems unusual, but bear in mind that there are occasional laboratory errors-- which is precisely the reason why we always prefer to get confirmatory HIV testing. Rapid screening tests, do occasionally have false negative results (as might be your case).

Did you ever have a detectable HIV RNA level (viral load)? If so, this would point to the clear fact that (sadly) you do have HIV infection.

Either way, we'll have to wait for the results of the WB test.

Be well, BY

garlic and hiv meds
Stomach acid and drug absorption