garlic and hiv meds

My domestic partner has been taking truvada and viramune for several years now. He is Italian and eats a LOT of garlic that is sauteed. I read that allicin in garlic can induce the P-450 liver enzyme. But I also know that allicin is degraded by merely cooking it. So if he or I are cooking the garlic and not eating it raw, will that be OK? Or is the other compounds that result when allicin is broken down the substance that induces the P-450 liver enzyme. He's been on anti-virals for over 15 years and eats a lot of cooked garlic.

Hello and thanks for posting.

As far as I know, there are no clinically significant interactions between garlic (raw or cooked) and HIV medications. Indeed, if his HIV viral load is suppressed through all that terrific Italian food, this is proof that there hasn't been any problems.

Buon appetito, BY

CD4 count not increasing much
Tested positive and then negative