Super confuse!

Doctor , after I was told about hiv status I became an expert thanks to this website and you helped me alot but today I got my results back from doctor office and my cd4 756 43% and no detectable ,I am happy about that but the nurse said ,Daylet we need to take a resistance test because your cd4 dropped since last time (5months ago) they were 859 , why did she said that? I though you said that as long the virus is no-detectable is no need for resistance test . I switched from reyataz to prezista 5 months ago and to me is working perfect , do you think I should be worry about my cd4 drop? I feel like that nurse don`t know what the h... she is talkiing about . please correct if I am wrong. Thanks in advandce !!!

Hello Daylet and good to hear from you.

You're right. CD4s fluctuate a lot and a chance from 859 to 756 is not alarming in anyway and certainly not a reason to have concern about drug resistance. Indeed, with an undetectable viral load, there's no virus to even run a drug resistance test.

I do think that this is a teachable moment, both for you and your nurse- being supportive of those taking care of you can sometimes be challenging (especially in this circumstance), but I'd bet that if properly phrased, a few words to her might be welcomed. While this article is about adherence, I think that it has a few useful points about communicating with your provider.

Be well, BY

Very low level of cd4 : 138
Switching form Viramune/Truvada to Isentress/Truvada