Superinfection

I made an unforgettable misstake. On July 28 I had unprotected insertive anal intercourse with a person of unknown status. It was a transexual prostitute. I'm positive and on effective therapy. My meds are Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir. I never missed a dose and I'm undetectable. My concern is that this episode will make an end to my successful treatment. After 15 days of the encounter I had a slight increase in the body temperature (37C), dizziness and diarrea. 3 days before I made my regular blood test and got the same day I noticed the symptoms my first results. CD4 815 (previous labs 932) with a percentage of 32,6 (previous labs 33,3). VL still not available. I guess that in case of a superinfection my immune cells would be much less. I'm concerned to see a rebound in my VL. What are the chances of a superinfection in the situation described?

Hi and thanks for posting.

While superinfection with a second strain of HIV can and does occur, fortunately, it's uncommon. In your case, we haven't established if the sex worker was HIV+, secondly a single episode of unprotected anal insertive intercourse has been associated with lower risk on the order of 6.5 per 10,000 (or 0.06% risk). TheBody.com's summary of HIV transmission risk might provide a useful reference. Lastly, since your taking an HIV treatment, your medications are working as functional pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).

Overall, I'd be much more concerned about other sexually transmitted infections, like hepatitis or papilloma virus than HIV.

I hope that's helpful and wish you well. BY

hepatitis b
how effective is the treatment