Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dental Surgery with low CD4 Count
Aug 15, 2012

Thank you for all the help that you've provided to me during the first 2 years of my HIV treatment. I'm not sure which section to post this in.. Due to an injury when I was much younger, my front upper two teeth need to be removed and replaced with impants (it's surprising they lasted this long..), so I will need them pulled, have posts put in, etc.. My CD4 percentage is 10 and my count varies from 140 to a little over 200, my HIV doctor would like me to avoid the dental work if I can, and I have a heart valve issue that makes me more prone to endocarditis (mitral value but not exactly mitral valve prolapse). But my teeth are sore and I don't think I can wait until the CD4 cout gets over 300 as my doctor would like. What do you think? How risky is it if I load up on antibiotics first and for the few days after the pulling and post work? thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

You do indeed have a low CD4 count/percentage. Yes, it probably is reasonable to defer elective work until your counts are healthy, but that shouldn't deter you from getting needed dental care.

Pre-treatment antibiotics are not an issue at all.

I hope that helps, BY

Previous
Where to go? and What to take?
Next
Supplements and recent studies our Dr.s are recommending

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.