Where to go? and What to take?

Hello. I have been off of meds since Febuary of this year. My physician in the USA said that my numbers were ok if I continued off of meds for another 6 months, but I want to get back on meds sooner rather than later. I live in Asia,and I have health insurance, but I would be forced to leave the country where I live if my status were revealed. My best options are to go to either Kuala Lumpur Malaysia or to Singapore to see a doctor here in Asia and get back on meds. They ran tests in the US and determined that I showed no resistance to any meds. The doctor told me this in an email..."Good news the test results showed no resistance to any of the drugs. Any standard regimen will work. If you want me to fax or scan these results, let me know." So, with this knowledge, where do I go from here? Thanks so much in an advance for any guidance

Hello and thanks for posting.

I can say first hand that there is very high quality HIV care in both Singapore and Malaysia, but cannot tell you about the eligibility of foreign nationals to the health programs.

The issue about when to resume HIV treatment depends optimally on a number of factors, primarily how you feel (ie., symptoms) and your current CD4 cell count. If the numbers are above 350, you could consider waiting until you return to the US to resume treatment (especially since you've already been off medications for 6 months). On the other hand, if your CD4 was closer to 200 (or below), then I would seek treatment.

Since you have health insurance, it would seem reasonable to get some degree of medical and laboratory follow up in either country. With that information in hand, you can make better informed decisions about what to do about HIV medications.

Be well, BY

CD4 MIlestones
Dental Surgery with low CD4 Count