Is it possible to determine how long I have been infected?
Aug 13, 2012
I recently tested positive for hiv. The only other time I tested was thirteen years ago, and it was of course negative. My cd4 count is 174 and my viral load is 497,000.
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.
No, it's not possible to accurately tell when one was infected (other than to have periodic HIV testing). Your CD4 count and viral load are consistent with being infected for some time, but I can't tell you if this was one year or thirteen.
BTW, with your low CD4 and very high HIV viral load, it's very important to consider starting HIV treatments soon.
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Touching Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- Genital Wart Treatment And Healing Time
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.