superinfection

i am a young guy diagnosed 3 months ago and already on arv treatment, recent cd4 is 300 and viral load is around 400. right now im worried for superinfection because i just had one unprotected sex from this guy i met in the internet here in us.. my question is what is my chance of getting superinfected? i am devastated right now that i commit the same mistakes again because i cannot control myself to seek for sex.. i will have my doctor visit in august and im worried that i will have a bad results because i might be superinfected.. pls help and reassure me on what is my chance of being reinfected again and affect my arv treatment and my whole life..

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

I would not be too concerned. There is not much risk from a one-time occurrence. Repeatedly exposing yourself to a strain of HIV that is resistant to the medication you are on could eventually cause a problem.

It sounds like you know that it's best if you have protected sex. I would go with that feeling. Accidents happen. I would not be too hard on yourself.

In health,

Richard

how safe is Sex with clothes on ?
Thanks for your precious time Dr. Young.