Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir switch to Complera ok?

Hi, I been on the above combo for a few years now, my T cells have never gotten past 475, and last count was 300. My Dr says the important thing is I'm undetectable, but I feel my numbers should be higher. I suffer from a lot of stomach distress,and my eyes and skin have taken on yellowish hue from time to time. I believe the reyataz/norvir part of my combo is the culprit, and Complera would address this by replacing it with another drug.(I was on Atripla before this combo and I couldn't tolerate it) From what I keep seeing on the internet Complera shouldn't be taken if you've been on HIV medication already but do not go into details why, is it safe for me to try since I already am taking the Truvada part of the combo now. Thank you for this wonderful service you provide!

Hello and thanks for posting (and your kind words).

Complera is approved for first-line HIV treatment, but that shouldn't be interpreted to mean that people without drug resistant virus and suppressed on their first-line regimen couldn't switch. (This is true for all so-called "first-line" medications.)

Indeed, a recent presentation at the International AIDS Conference in Washington showed that it is safe to switch people from a first-line boosted PI regimen to Complera.

So, as long as you don't have any history of virologic treatment failure (rather than the side effect issues), you're still really considering a "first-line" treatment, and Complera would certainly be one of your options.

Be well, BY

New test!!!
Blood transfusions as treatment.