New test!!!

Doctor Young ,

I went last week to get my labs done and the specialist told me that is a new test that can tell if the virus is down to 0 (zero) is that correct? I am very ancious about my results , I switched from reyataz to prezista 5 months ago and lets pray that my number are the same if is not better!!! Do you think that a change from reyataz to prezista is any risk ?

Hello and thanks for posting.

The newer HIV viral load tests continue to get more sensitive (ie., detect lower levels). It's not clear that the increased sensitivity really adds much to clinical management, so I'd temper your anxiety about what the results add.

After switching regimens (for any reason), I generally recommend getting a follow up testing after about 1 month (rather than 5 months)- just to make sure that there aren't any problems with viral suppression (unlikely in your case) or new toxicities.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Atripla Fail, Now what?
Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir switch to Complera ok?