Truvada with 245 mg or 300 mg Tenofovir ?
Aug 7, 2012
In Thailand, Truvada or generic versions contain 300mg Tenofovir. In Europe, Truvada has 245mg Tenofovir.
1) Is 245mg an updated treatment standard ? 2) Does this dosage decrease the likelihood of side effects ? 3) Do you know names of approved generic versions with this dosage combination available in Thailand or available in online pharmacies ? 4) Does this dosage combination work as PrEP, too ?
Thanks for help !
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
The two medications are equivalent. The numbers reflect different ways of counting up the milligrams in the pill, so 300 mg in the US/Europe is the same as 245 mg elsewhere.
Yes, Truvada is approved in the US for PrEP.
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore Throat After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Swallowing Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
- White Tongue After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Amoxicillin Syphilis Treatment
- What Vaginal Infections Does Metronidazole Treat?
- Are Cough Fever Runny Nose Sore Neck Hiv Symptoms?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.