|Condom broke. PEP dosage timings
Aug 7, 2012
Hi. About 3 weeks ago i had sex with a sex worker. My condom broke towards the end and i ejaculated inside her. I only found out after i withdrew. I panicked. and somehow ended up with another two sex workers. Both of whom i had protected sexual intercourse and unprotected oral. I am a struggling sex addict who have just checked into a behavioral help program. I was prescribed PEP about just below 6hrs after the episode and have been taking it ever since. I am a HIV negative. Her status is unknown. Questions are
1) Will taking PEP affect the 1 month window period? How soon before i could have a conclusive result?
3) I know what im experiencing is a high risk situation. I'm just wondering of the chances. I was protected up til the last minute or so before i ejaculated.
Am worried. Please help.
Response from Dr. Young
Hello Worried and thanks for posting.
1) PEP doesn't really affect the window period, but if one want's to be definite, a HIV test should be done at 3 months.
2) You're taking a standard (if not always well tolerated) PEP regimen. The dosing is correct.
3) Female to male transmission of HIV does occur, though less commonly than when one is the receptive sexual partner. Based on what you describe, your exposure wasn't of the highest risk, but it's difficult to place a number on it.
Lastly, if you really do find yourself in frequent, potentially risky sexual circumstances, you might be a candidate for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). The first medical treatments to prevent HIV infection (Truvada) was just approved by the FDA; when taken with good adherence, PrEP can reduce one's risk of getting HIV sexually. I'd suggest talking to your healthcare provider (or one who's knowledgeable about PrEP and PEP).
Be well, BY
Do I need to switch from Atripla?
- Diarrhea After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Herpes After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Having Sex During Period Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Severe Back Pain And Vaginal Bleeding
- Can Hiv Infection Cause High Blood Pressure?
- Can You Get Hepatitis From Toilet Seat?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.