Atripla to Complera

I have been taking Atripla for 6 months. Current CD4:450, VL: 20, but I still have side effect issues (extreme tiredness, dizziness, etc) so my Physician suggested switching to Complera. The reading material with Complera states it should not be taken if you have ever taken any other HIV meds; and in addition it says it should not be take with Nexium (which I take daily).

I read in a recently answered question that it is ok to switch to Complera even if this isn't the first round of treatment, but what about the Nexium? Should I ask my Doc to try a different HIV regimen because of the Nexium? Do you have any other treatment suggestions?

Thank you for your dedication to answer all of these questions! I appreciate this website!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Switching from Atripla to Complera would generally be fine, particularly in light of your persistant side effects and, provided that dietary and drug interaction restrictions are minded. In your case however, the Nexium that you take is contraindicated with Complera- it lowers the level of your HIV medications.

So, yes, an alternative to the efavirenz component might be reasonable. Current US guidelines would suggest using either a boosted PI or integrase inhibitor. The soon-to-be approved Quad tablet (tenofovir/FTC/cobicistat/elvitegravir) might be a single tablet, once-daily option to consider, if Complera isn't a good option for you.

I hope that helps. Be well, BY

prophylaxis for superinfection
IV spike