The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

prophylaxis for superinfection

Aug 7, 2012

Hi Dr. Young, I have a stable CD4 count (>500) and undetectable VL on Atripla (35 yo male). Last night I happened to have unprotected sex with another HIV+ male, I don't know much about his treatment history, or his recent blood work. I normally always protect myself, not sure how this happened, but I am extremely worried about superinfection with a drug resistant virus, or Hep C infection (I am vaccinated for Hep B). My doctor is on vacation. Is there a prophylactic regimen to prevent potential superinfection (i.e. adding a 4th drug to my Atripla regimen)? Should I go to an emergency room? I think there is not much to do concerning Heo C, except a PCR test in a few weeks to see if acute infection occurred or not, am I right? In case that were the case, early treatment has a high chance of clearing infection if I understood correctly.

Response from Dr. Young


I don't think that it's necessary to take any additional medications for PEP following your exposure-- you're already taking medications that should prevent infection against many commonly transmitted resistant viruses (Truvada). Indeed, there's little data to suggest that adding a forth medication would add any protective benefit.

You're right about follow up- for hepatitis C and other possible sexually transmitted infections (such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis or papilloma virus).

Be well, BY

cotromoxaxole and HIV
Atripla to Complera

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint