Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

silly questions?
Aug 5, 2012

hi dr benjamin, its a nice work u and ur team doing in this website. i got two questions for u today, first one is a bit historical fiction and second one is a statistical. Q1: we are gathering proper knowledge of advanced virology and molecular biology since the middle of the last century. that really helped us to design effective HAART and to know the virus well enough. what is ur opinion regarding this success if HIV pandemic happened in the 17th/18th/early 19th century when we did not have any or enough knowledge in virology and modern molecular techniques? Q2: do u think an HIV poz person who is controlling his HIV disease wonderfully and avoiding other comorbidities (like obesity/DM/HTN/Dyslipidemia/alcoholism/smoking/doing exercise regularly etc)is increasing his life expectancy that normally he wouldnt be able to do if he were HIV negative? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi there, no silly questions here (though just to be clear we try not to answer the "do I have HIV?" questions on this Forum).

1. Very interesting question-- I'd have to say that the epidemic would very likely have been much worse, certainly no understanding of the cause, treatments or an understanding for issues of stigma and discrimination.

2 People living with HIV today, with access to medications and trained medical care are very likely to live a normal life expectancy. You raise an interesting point, which is that because of medical supervision, people living with HIV often have a great deal more access to preventive medical care and counseling (things like monitoring of blood pressure, diabetes, smoking counseling, vaccinations, etc). It's tempting to conclude that early diagnosis and intervention in these factors might actually lead to a *longer* life expectancy, than if HIV wasn't there as the excuse to see the doctor. I have certainly seen my patients have a much more open discussion about the things that define quality of life (love, family, travel, etc) than if they hadn't had HIV as a wake up call. I'd hope that this is true too for duration of high quality life...

Thanks for posting, BY

Previous
Is it time to start meds (Atripla)?
Next
interations among priscriptions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.