body rash on Atripla

Hi Dr, my last test results show that I am HIV negative,however I was put on Atripla for just 28 days as a preventative measure after an incident occured,the pill is giving me a serious beating, have rash all over my body, I am on my 14th day of treatment and I'm tempted to stop, Is it safe for me to stop this 28 day treatment or will this be defeating the purpose.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Atripla generally isn't recommended for PEP, though the tenofovir/FTC parts (aka Truvada) is- usually in conjunction with a protease inhibitor or integrase inhibitor. The main reason for this is that a significant percentage of newly diagnosed cases have virus that is resistant to the efavirenz part of Atripla.

If you're having serious side effects, you should notify your doctor immediately. Efavirenz is associated with serious rash in a minority of cases, but can be serious.

As for the PEP, we do recommend 28 days of treatment; shorter treatment was associated with less protective effects. If your risk was significant, a switch to an alternate to efavirenz could be made.

Be well, BY

Complera with little food intake
pep?