aids

newly diagnosed with aids. my cd4 is 23 and viral is 23000. my insurance carrier recommended northshore university hospital. my first question is is that a good hospital if you know? the regimen they started me on is truvada -prezista -norvir? with anitibotics azithromycin and bactrim. All this is new to me i just want to make sure im getting the best care and regimen recommendations. my last question is i been doing bikram yoga for 20yrs now should i continue to go now since i will be on all these medications?? thank you so much for reading this and providing me with any honest answer.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There is very good HIV care in the New York area, including North Shore (it's closely affiliated with the Cornell New York Hospital program in Manhattan).

The regimen that you're started on is one of several highly rated ("preferred") regimens in the current US Department of Health and Human Services Guidelines and IAS-USA Guideliens.

With your very low CD4 count, the antibiotics that you're taking are recommended in order to prevent certain very serious infections (Mycobacterium avium and Pneumocystis).

I can see no reason why you couldn't continue with the yoga- indeed, I recommend regular exercise (and avoidance of tobacco and excess alcohol) for all of my patients.

I hope that helps. Feel free to write back anytime. BY

Drug and alcohol abuse and HIV
What should you do with multidrug resistant?