recently diagnosed with aids

I was a participant in the aids vacine therapy. Injected for three years ending in 2001. After trial I was told that I was given the virus in segments hoping for antibodies. Of course life goes on and I can not be sure of 100% safety since then. Anyway, this past Dec. I was hospitalised. Diagnosis PCP, CMV, Aids. cd4 count 5 (really) viral load 50,000. After 3 months in ICU I was put on atripla and a daily dose of bactrim (indefinitely). Now cd4 158 and viral load 40. My question is; could the trial have had anything to do with the hard hit and is atripla with bactrim my best option?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear that you were so ill.

No, the vaccine was unlikely to have anything to do with your initial presentation, though perhaps a delayed diagnosis of your HIV might have. We currently have recommendations that people who are at risk (ie., are sexually active) get HIV testing annually, perhaps every six month for men who have sex with men. Atripla remains a mainstay for initial HIV treatments, and is a very good option, so long as you have good tolerability and no problems with either kidney or bone disease (if so, there are other options). Bactrim (TMP/SMX) is recommended to prevent initial or recurrence of PCP for all persons living with HIV with CD4 counts less than 200- for this reason, you'll still need the Bactrim for a little while longer.

Hope that helps, BY

Altitude Sickness
oraquick advance oral mucosal transudate