INTELENCE 400 mg ONCE A DAY

My doctor has just prescribed 4x100mg etravirine ONCE a day. I don't see this in the product leaflet or online desription, where 2x100 TWICE a day is recommended. I am very worried... Its Friday and I can't speak to him till Monday! What should I do?

Response from Dr. McGowan

You are correct, the standard dosing of etravirine is 200 mg twice daily. I would take it that way unless you can clarify it with your doctor. This would be especially true if your virus had any previous resistance to medicines such as efavirenz (Sustiva, Atripla) or nevirapine (Viramune).

That being said, there are studies underway now looking into the 400 mg dose. It looks promising based on the blood and cellular levels of the medicine. But, there are other once daily drugs on the market, and it would be safest to wait for the outcomes of these studies before using the 400 mg dose.

Best, Joe

Meds and Life Expectancy
superficial wound