HIV Symtoms and worried after incident

Hi Dr Joseph..

Before I start, i would like to thank you for helping lot many people with your valuable information and advice..

My concern is that I had an unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex with a sex worker recently 5.4 weeks ago. She performed oral on me for 5-7 minutes while I was lying down and she was on top giving me head...and then we started vaginal sex . I wore condom but without wiping myself after oral.

As far as I beleive, that this act remains a low risk activity since I had only insertive oral sex and then protected vaginal sex but after few days I faced below symtoms:-

1. After 1 to 4 weeks - around 5-6 lymph nodes got swollen in right side of neck and right armpit. (including both location) but they got swollen after one by one. 2. After 3rd week, I have two painless fluid filled mouth ulcers inside my mouth both right and left cheeks inwards and are still there. 3. on 28th day after this exposure, I got fever and this remained for one and half week but I got fever around 100 or 101 only during second half of day like after noon that continued till night. During morning hours, I would remain fresh with my body temperature as normal. Went to doctor and had got the fever and antibiotics medicines. 4. Getting night sweats for past 4-5 days and getting up in the middle of night because of that.

I am now worrying this as the symptoms of HIV .. Is there any other possibility of these being symtoms of different STDs. I understand that I have to get tested at 3 months mark as I have seen your suggestions in this forum to be a conclusive test window. Need your help, advise and support as why I am so much symptomatic towards HIV though I had protected vaginal sex . Yes, for Oral sex- I got into unprotected but would insertive oral sex lead to these symtoms ? Also, supposing the lady to be in her Acute period when viral load is too high- can the Saliva have that much of viral load to infect or supposing some mouth ulcers to be present in her mouth, can the HIV be transferred ?

Please help Doctor....

Response from Dr. McGowan

HI, You are correct, your risk of acquiring HIV from receiving oral sex would be extremely unlikely. You do not describe any open sores, genital ulcers or cuts on your penis....had they been there, I am sure you would have mentioned it. So that is not a risky situation.

You do not mention if you performed oral sex or engaged in deep kissing. If so there are other STDs, such as herpes simplex (HSV) that could be easily transmitted and cause oral ulcers and swollen lymph nodes. You can be tested for these with HSV-1 and HSV-2 specific antibody testing through your primary care doc. Syphillis is also a possibility.

Keep using the condoms and have that follow-up test at 3 months.

Best, Joe

please answerrr
HIV virus