Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Urine testing at my work and HIV meds
Jun 25, 2012

Hello Doctor Firstly, thank you for such a wonderful resource as this website. I was diagnosed on 10th June, and am advised by my doctor that I am weeks, if not months away from commencing treatment. I work in heavy industry/ manufacturing and we are randonly selected for alcohol and other drug testing using urine samples. As well, it is common practice in this industry to submit urine samples as part of a pre employment medical screening process. Once I commence medication, what will appear in my urine samples? I have heard that one HIV medication can appear as cannibinoids. This aspect of my HIV status is causing me much concern and angst. Kind regards Richard

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I think that you are probably getting ahead of the thought process. There are many factors that impact the decision on when to start and what medications to use, but an over riding principle is to individualize care whenever possible.

Only one drug was historically associated with false positive urine drug tests, namely efavirenz (Sustiva, part of Atripla). Current drug tests no longer have this problem. Furthermore, one might rightly question if efavirenz is the best medication for you since it sounds as if you might be a heavy equipment operator (and one of the early side effects of the medication is neuropsychological).

So, be sure to dialog about this (and all other) concerns with your health care provider.

Be well, BY

Previous
Just diagnosed with kaposis and HIV neg 3 months ago
Next
Memory loss, from Indonesia.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.