Switching due to Insurance

I am switching jobs. I am currently taking (first meds) Intelence and Truvada. I have been undetectable for about 8 months. My new insurance will not cover Intelence and Truvada (I think anyway), but the individual components of Truvada are available on the formulary. However, the intelence is not available. Is there any problem switching from Intelence to Edurant, which IS available?

I'm seeing my Doctor July 2nd and will ask him then, but I'd like an opinion on whether this is something feasible.

I should note I was placed on Intelence because I have to work a 24 hour shift, and my doctor did not want me suffering the side effects of Sustiva. I don't have any resistances on my genotype, but he did note that there were some background mutations.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Provided that you don't have any issues with transmitted drug resistance, a switch from etravirine (Intelence) to rilpivirine (Edurant) should be fine. Do know that there are important dietary requirements with Edurant (should be taken with a meal).

Indeed, the combination of tenofovir/FTC/rilpivirine is also marketed as Complera. You can read much more about this combination by searching this Forum for questions on "Complera".

In any event, you should avail yourself to the various drug assistance and copayment assistance programs from Gilead, the makers of Truvada and Complera. There might be a way to minimize the financial impact of your medications.

I hope that helps, BY

FROM REYATAZ TO PREZISTA
stopping hiv medications