The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

very swollen glands in groin area...

Jun 22, 2012

diagnosed may 19th:( cd4 650 vl 80,000. last two days seeing very swollen glands on both sides of groin area and very tender. friend tells me hiv is entering my glands/lymph nodes and it will last 2 or 3 months...he also tells me anti inflammatory won't help. to further complicate matters i do not have access to hiv doc that i trust(i live in mexico). is there anything i should/could do?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Your swollen lymph nodes could be the result of several things. First, yes, it's common to have generalized enlarged lymph nodes when one has untreated HIV. If the swelling is new, it's unlikely that HIV is the cause of *new* changes (unless you were very recently infected, as opposed to recently diagnosed).

Infections in the region around the lymph nodes (such as herpes, anal fissure, lower extremity cellulitis) can cause enlarged and tender lymph nodes, though typically this is on one side of the body, not both.

Lastly, there are other conditions that can lead to swollen glands- it's important (at least to me) to know if there are other swollen glands (in your neck or arm pits) to help decide on the potential list.

There are good HIV care providers in Mexico. If your symptoms persist more than a week or two and there's no other obvious cause, I'd reach out to the care system.

Be well, BY

Tenofovir, lamivudine+zidovudine and Kaletra as pep

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint