Complera for treatment after off meds for 2 months

My HIV doctor only sees me for treatment options after I had a high viral load and went off my last meds 2 months ago,he told me I could take Complera.It's supposed to be only for treatment nieve and I take lots of vitamins and suppliments.I don't do well on PI's is it still within recomendations to use Complera?If so why the warning about treatment nieve?

Hi and thanks for posting.

Complera (tenofovir, FTC and rilpivirine) is an alternate first-line regimen in current US treatment guidelines. It's generally not my first choice, particularly among persons who have high viral loads. People with high viral loads who started Complera were more likely to experience treatment failure that with comparator regimens; moreover, failure was associated with a greater likelihood of multidrug resistance- so the answer to your question depends much on the details of your case.

For example, you mention a high viral load- was that viral load in association with failure of a previous treatment regimen? If so, what did the drug resistance testing tell about your virus? If not, then how high is "high"? Over 100,000 copies is what is usually considered high.

Treatment naive is indeed the indication for the medication, but if you didn't have previous treatment failure with drug resistance (or transmitted drug resistance), medications with this indication are usually fine to use after a treatment interruption.

Last comment is that I generally don't recommend taking "lots" of vitamins and supplements. There's little good scientific data on safety and far less on effectiveness. Moreover, the principle advantage to Complera (and other one pill regimens) is the low pill number. If you're willing to take "lots' of other pills, why narrow your HIV medication options to only single pill regimens. There might be additional options to consider, if your willing to take more than one pill (that total includes prescription and non-prescription medications) per day.

I hope that's a helpful start, BY

worried about resistance all the time
MEDS TIME