TRUVADA

HELLO DOCTOR, I WAS READING IN ANOTHER WEBSITE THAT TRUVADA IS GOING TO BE USE TO PREVENT HIV , HERE IS MY QUESTION: I AM HIV + AND TAKING TRUVADA ,NORVIR AND PREZISTA , IF TRUVADA IS GOOD FOR PREVENTION THAT MEANS THAT I WON`T BE RE-INFECTED? I AM CONFUSE!!! THANK YOU DAYLET

Hello Daylet and good to hear from you again.

Truvada (tenofovir+FTC) is under consideration for FDA approval for pre-exposure prophylaxis of HIV (and recommended for approval by the FDA advisory panel).

Your question is an interesting one, and I'd expect that anyone taking HIV medications for treatment would indeed be, in essence, also taking medications to prevent re-infection (super infection) with other HIV strains (at least those that are sensitive to the medications). Super infection is fortunately, very rare. Know too, that HIV medications don't prevent other sexually transmitted infections, such as hepatitis C, herpes, or papilloma virus.

Hope that helps, BY

3 stable blips in a raw on Atripla
NEW MEDS