Stubborn gut

I have been taking Atripla for approximately three years. My labs are great (CD4 over 1000 and undetectable) and am experiencing no known side effects other than sleep issues. But I have developed belly fat that doesn't seem to go away with exercise. Is this from Atripla or rather age -related now that I am approaching 45? If it is possibly related to the Atripla, would the new once-a-day pill have a similar side effect?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sounds like Atripla has been working well for you- your body fat increase could be the result of HIV, HIV medications or non-HIV-related (aging, diet, exercise) things.

It's worth noting that HIV-associated lipodystrophy is often more the result of disease related issues (such as severity or duration of HIV) more than our current medications. Also, HIV lipodystrophy is usually easy to distinguish from the more usual fat accumulation, since the former is below the muscle layer (visceral fat) and the later is above and readily pinched ("pinch an inch").

If you can pinch the fat layer, it's more likely to be related to the typical fat accumulation that sometimes comes with age, or related to diet, exercise and your genetics.

Seems like a discussion with your doctor might help sort this out.

Be well, BY

SHARP SHOOTING PAINS
What is an appropriate level of HIV care?